Learning

Playing In the Sand Watercolor 9 x 12 Hello, I am trying my hand at this blog phenomenon in the art community. I am a watercolor artist. I began my painting career when I was 12 with oils at a local community gallery south of Dayton, Ohio. I earned a degree in art education where I used acrylics to get my projects done on time. I have been married for 26 years to my high school sweetheart and we have three daughters. I began doing watercolors after taking a class through the Cincinnati Art Academy's community classes. Watercolor painting was not part of my college experience. Watercolors have the reputation as being the hardest of mediums to learn. After taking my first class from Ken L. Buck I knew this was the medium for me. I enjoyed the challenge that watercolor painting can be. It also works with my day job which is childcare in my home for teachers children in our school district. This past summer I met a local group of painters, Legendary Artists Group, that have invited me to join their weekly painting sessions. They have encouraged me to paint more on my own and with the thought of selling my work. I paint with this eclectic group, on a regular basis, during the summer months when I am off work. However, they will be including me at their fall sale at a local business. So I need to keep working. The group painted en plein air in our village park on two occasions. It was promotional for the riverfront business' as well as for the group. I had a really good time talking to the people that came by to check out our work. I even had a few ask me about commissions. That was exciting! Because the first "Artists In the Park" was successful, several from this group have rented a space in our village to create a studio and gallery. When they get it going full time I am hoping they will accept work on commission from the rest of the group. I have lots to think about and lots to create. I hope you will not mind following my journey. Gaylynn

Comments