Favorite blogs

Yesterday I wrote about deconstructing a blog. Today I want to tell you what brings me back to their pages. I will begin with Maggie Stiefvater's blog that I read often. Maggie has others, but I like greywarenart. What drew me to this site was her and fellow bloggers, on Fine Line Artist, were naming an artist each month, doing research on that artist style of painting and life, then doing a painting with the information that they learned. Maggie does colored pencil paintings and I am amazed with her skill on her horses and her humor when she draws her pets. Maggie states on her title that her "blog on the creative life: being a professional artist and author, raising 2 kids, eating lots of cookie dough and a painting a day." Right away you see her humor. Maggie just received a nod from a publisher and will have a book out in 2008. It will be a young adult fantasy (as in fairies) read. Karin Jurick is an awesome painter! I love her almost "voyeuristic" style of painting people, as she states, "being themselves in public places." Her blog is simple and consistent with her work produced daily. Karin's title states that her blog is, "the results of the life of a paintaholic." I just feel the excitement she gets from painting when I check her blog/paintings. Karin's blog is a great model of a "good" blog. Peter Yesis and Belinda del Pesco are enjoyable blogs because they show the process of their work. I have learned so much just by clicking in. Peter has done oil still lifes on a daily basis for the past year. At the end of his daily anniversary he had a gallery showing. This years daily paintings are en plien air. I can not wait to see his subjects and how he deals with the elements. Belinda does small paintings daily. They are either in watercolor, etchings, mono type, collographs, lino cuts, woodcuts, drawings or mixed media. I find the detail she puts in her 3.5 x 3.5 or 4 x 6 paintings outstanding. I also enjoy when she explains the process of her paintings. I went to see Degas' mono types at the Columbus Museum last winter and Belinda happened to explain "how-to" that very week. It really made the show for me. Nita Leland, like me, is from southwest Ohio. When I began using watercolors I picked up her books "The Creative Artist" and "Exploring Color" published by North Light. I first watched her website then switched to her blog when she announced it. Her blog and website gives book reviews; art links; tutorials on watercolor, color, mixed media; new tool reviews; art topics; her workshops and her family (she is a proud grandma). I began looking at Casey Klahn's blog through Alyson Stanfield (artbizblog.com). I signed up for her help for two months. Casey was also on the group site. Since he spoke often and listed his blog I checked it out. I liked his pastel paintings bright colors and impressionistic work. I also liked the he says that he is "Mr. Mom" with a wife that supports his passion. That leaves Stacy Rowan and Carol Marine. Stacy is a watercolor painter that does art shows and fairs largely with her father, Bob Govett, and sister, Denise Mennella, both artist. Stacy does watercolors and posts them on her blog as well as talking about her latest show and family life. Carol paints small oil still lifes and posts them daily. She also posts and lists her workshops. I really like her vibrant colors. These are only the few that I return to often that I have listed on my blog. However, I have loads that are listed in my bookmark and I usually peak at them a few times a month. I also have listed Alyson Stanfield (who I have already mentioned) and Robert Genn's "The Painter's Keys" If you have not heard of his twice weekly newsletters please check this site out. Robert's newsletters are helpful, thought provoking and sometimes controversial, but always enjoyable to receive in my e-mailbox on Tuesdays and Fridays. His acrylic paintings are excellent and you can see his process through "The Painter's Keys" or on "You Tube -Artist". I hope you check these artist out and enjoy their work as much as I do. Gaylynn

Comments

Casey Klahn said…
Thanks, Gaylynn, for the kind mention. I admire your work, and will be back to visit often.