WACC

Today I went to a Woman's Art Club of Cincinnati meeting. This woman's organization has been going since 1892. The organization is 200 members strong. Today they met at the Pendleton Arts Center. This is the first and largest building turned into artist studios in Cincinnati. The Pendleton Arts Center has a Final Friday each month showing all the artists in the buildings works. The meeting went over their funds and projects, like all organizations, then they had a speaker. The speaker was a member, Velma Morris. Velma works in acrylic and showed the group how to take a dud painting and create another painting on top and letting some of the bottom painting show through. Velma began drawing with her paint brush on the canvas from a picture of a lady that she took. In approximately an hour she had a painting on its way. It is always fun to watch a painting come to life. As we watched her work out the values, we learned that you never throw a dud away because you can turn it into something else. Not only did my friends, Dodie and Sharon, and I enjoy the speaker, we were treated very welcoming by the membership. One of the members was my drawing teacher, Marleene Steele, from the Community classes at the Art Academy of Cincinnati. I learned so much from her. I think I might consider joining in the future so that I may mingle with other women artist each month. If I join there is a yearly fee. I would have to attend meetings for one year before I can submit 4 works so as to be juried into the club. During that year I would be allowed to participate in the meetings and show work in the members show. Once juried in this allows an "active" member to obtain an office or chair a committee, show at the Pendleton studio and soon at the Woman's Art Center (in Mariemont) and enter any of the shows that the club puts on for active members. The Barn is the new Culture Art Center in Mariemont. The organization is presently renovating the building with the hopes of opening it to the public in the spring of 2008. The organization hopes to offer classes for art and dance, studio and/or office space. More information about The Barn can be seen on the clubs website or their blog. (www.womansartclub.com or www.wacc.blogspot.com) I most certainly will try to go to the November meeting which will be at a enameling museum in Northern Kentucky. Camaraderie and informative...sounds like fun! Gaylynn

Comments