New Job

I got a new job two weeks ago. I have been hired by our County Board of Education to be an aide for a new program. This program is for persons with special needs ages 18-22. Our job is to bridge the gap for them between high school and moving to a group home or a job or both. The program is so new that we had only one week to order supplies and putting a curriculum together. Our job is to teach them how to take care of an apartment and their needs like cooking, laundry, money and how to function at a job. Social skills also are to be taught because most of them have the capacity of a 7-10 yr. old. and some are shy. I must say that it has been exciting and exhausting all at the same time. I feel that this new chapter in my life will be rewarding. Because of my new job, I have only worked a couple of days on my present painting. I have one month to finish and frame for a exhibition in October in my home town. It will be their first exhibition and will feature artist that are professional, hobbyist and students. The show, called Java, Jazz and Art, will be a very short exhibition of three days. The judge is Master Wildlife Artist, John A. Ruthven. So I feel it is an honor to be able to show my paintings in this new venue. The exhibition has two themed categories. Open theme and a river theme because we are a river town. This is different from other exhibits that I have entered. Usually categories are broken down by medium with 1st, 2nd, 3rd and honorable mention prizes for each. This exhibition will have one large prize per theme, a memorial award, 2 excellence awards and 2 student awards. So all mediums will be competing against each other for 7 awards. So truly it will be an honor to get into this exhibit. I will post my painting once completed and report all about the exhibit in October. Gaylynn

Comments