Red Stone Wall WIP

Hassan Tower Doorway Rabat, Morocco

I laid in another layer to the stone wall and red door.

From the photographer (Kelsey Glover) of the photo,  I learned that the building this young man is sitting at is called Hassan Tower.

Hassan Tower is the minaret of an incomplete mosque in Rabat, Morocco. Construction began in 1195 AD and the tower was meant to be the largest minaret in the world along with the mosque. When the Sultan died in 1199 the construction stopped. The tower only reached 140 feet which was half of the intended 260 feet. The rest of the mosque was also left incomplete but sits next to the modern Mausoleum of Mohammed V making this is a historical and tourist complex. The tower is made of red sandstone. There are ramps instead of stairs to ascend the tower. This was to allow the muezzin to ride their horses to the top to issue the call for prayer.

I hope you find the background of this painting as fascinating as I have.

Gaylynn

Comments

Carol Blackburn said…
You did a fantastic job on the stonework, Gaylynn. Love it!
Gaylynn said…
Thanks Carol. I figure a few more darks then I can take the masking off. Then I blend in the light areas the masking created.I was hoping to be done by now, but the end of school and other family obligations have gotten in the way.