Sunday, May 22, 2011

WIP Red Wall

Red Wall WIP   

I was able to get a few minutes in on this painting before taking off for another out of town family event. Last weekend I helped my daughter and son-in-law move to North Carolina and see her best friend that I claim as a daughter (and the photographer of the picture I am painting from). This weekend I witnessed our nephew marry a lovely young lady whom we have adored since they began dating. I am looking forward to staying home for the holiday weekend to be able to accomplish many things around the house. One being time in the studio. I have 7 more days left of school, then a summer (78 days) to work on my to do list.

I took off the masking fluid and painted a few more layers of of the Da Vinci Orange color to the wall. I darkened the doorway with a mix of Sepia and Winsor Newton Burnt Sienna.  I added a layer of Madder Lake to the door to give it a richer burnt red surface. I also mixed Cheap Joe's Coastal Fog and Payne's Gray to create the blue gray areas in the doorway and lights on the door.

I put a base color on the young mans shirt with cobalt; his pants with olive and an ocher on his skin and shoes. I painted a gray on the sidewalk to show shadows.

Next step, beginning the detail of the young man.  Comments welcomed.

Gaylynn

3 comments:

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

This is really looking great. You are giving this wall just the right amount of texture. Wow. I bet you are enjoying this one......

Gaylynn said...

Nancy, you are SOOOO right! I am having fun. With regret,I hope to finish it this week. ;-)

debwardart said...

It's coming along great.

Related Posts with Thumbnails